Step by step recipe:
- 2 min.Cut vanilla pod in two, then split each part in two lengthways.
- 2 min.With the back, not the sharp edge, of a knife blade, scrape out all the small black seeds which contain the essence of the vanilla flavour.
- 2 min.Add these small black seeds to the liquid of your recipe, here milk for custard sauce (crème anglaise).
- 10 min.Add pod too, to get the whole flavour.
Bring to the boil, then remove from heat, cover and leave to stand for about 15 minutes, so that the milk absorbes the taste.
- 15 min.It's important to strain the milk afterwards to remove all the bits, especially the small brown fibres of vanilla pod.
To do this, pour the milk throught a strainer...
- 3 min.... to remove them, but use a strainer that is not too fine to allow the small black seeds to pass through.
See in this photo what's left after filtering: skins and brown fibres which would spoil your dish.