Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Bone the rabbit completely. Put the pieces of meat on one side, the bones on the other - but do not throw these way.
- 5 min.Salt and pepper the pieces of rabbit on each side, then coat liberally with French mustard (milder than the fiery English kind) using a brush. Finish with a sprinkling of thyme.
Preheat the oven to 160°C (330°F).
- 10 min.Pour 4 tablespoons olive oil into a large pan on high heat. When this is hot, add the pieces of rabbit.
Brown lightly on each side. Do this in batches if necessary.
- 40 min.Put the pieces of rabbit in an oven-proof dish covered with cooking film, and put in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- 5 min.Meanwhile, break the rabbit bones up roughly with a cleaver or heavy knife.
- 5 min.
- 3 min.When the stock is well reduced, filter, discard the bones and keep the sauce hot.
- 15 min.Cook 500 g broad beans in salted boiling water until they are tender, then plunge them into very cold water and drain.
- 10 min.
- 4 min.Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a large pan and when hot, add the shallot and cook for 1 minute.
Add the mushrooms and fry for 2 or 3 minutes. Stop as soon as they begin to give off liquid.
- 2 min.Drain and set aside.
- 7 min.
- 3 min.Tip the broad beans and mushrooms into the pan, stir and reheat.
- 5 min.Serve the rabbit pieces beside the bean mixture and pour the sauce over.
Remarks:You can also thicken the sauce with a teaspoonful of cornflour, reheated gently while stirring constantly.
And to drink?A red Burgundy such as a Santenay.
Source:After Joël Robuchon.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Rabbit meat: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Rabbit civet, Rabbit terrine, Rabbit civet "à la normande", ... [All]
- Broad beans: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Vegetable pie, Salade Niçoise, Summer Salmon Blanquette, Broad bean salad with Parmesan, ... [All]
- Mushrooms: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Stuffed artichokes au gratin, Mushroom buckwheat pancakes, Breton leek and mushroom tart, Penne with Mushrooms, Corn salad with croutons, ... [All]
- Small pieces of bacon: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rabbit civet, Quiche Lorraine, Fougasse with bacon and Comté, Lumberjack turnovers, Aperitif rolls, ... [All]