Step by step recipe:
- 2 min.Choose a piece of beef that looks good, trim it, then salt and pepper generously on both sides.
- 5 min.Put into a cooking bag with half the red wine, the carrot (peeled and cut into chunks), bayleaf and sage.
- 3 hoursPut in the oven at 300°F (150°C) and leave to cook for 3 hours.
- 3 min.After this time, remove the meat from the bag and discard the carrot, herbs and wine.
- 2 min.Make the red-wine sauce: pour the remaining wine into a saucepan on low heat...
- 30 min....and reduce by 3/4.
Salt, pepper and incorporate 50 g butter one small piece at a time, while whisking.
- 5 min.Finish by incorporating 1 tablespoon cornflour to thicken the sauce, whisking all the time.
- 5 min.Cut the meat into individual portions and fry these on both sides in a little oil.
- 5 min.Serve each portion on a hot plate, with potato purée on the side and the red-wine sauce poured over.
Remarks:Chuck would be my choice for this, but you can use any other cut you like.
It doesn't matter if the beef has "stringy bits" left in it, as these will melt during the long, slow cooking.
Source:Home made, based on a recipe by Guy Savoy.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Beef : You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Beef Wellington, How to slow cook meat, Home-made doner kebab, Fillet of beef in a rosemary crust, Beef braised in reduced red wine, ... [All]
- Potato purée: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Upside-down Parmentier, Hachis parmentier : meat with mashed potato and cheese, Potato and two ham gratin, Oxtail Parmentier, Colcannon, ... [All]
- Red wine: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Upside-down Parmentier, Aperitif rolls, Spaghetti Bolognese, Marchand de vin sauce, Roscoff loaf, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Seafood feuillantines, Flaky chocolate brioche, Spinach and Comté Loaf, Salmon chard rolls, Burger buns, ... [All]