Step by step recipe:
- 40 min.Prepare whatever else you will be serving to accompany the Wiener schnitzels (here it is pan-fried potatoes with mushrooms), and keep hot.
- 10 min.Trim the cutlets: remove anything that is not good flesh, then dry the cutlets on absorbant paper. Salt and pepper both sides.
- 3 min.Make a small cut in the sides of each cutlet. We do this to prevent it contracting and curling up during cooking.
- 5 min.Coat both sides with beaten egg yolk, using a brush.
- 5 min.Dust each side with flour, then brush with beaten egg again.
- 10 min.Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, then shake the cutlet gently to remove any excess.
Prepare all the cutlets like this.
- 2 min.Pour 6 tablespoons oil into a large frying pan on high heat. When lightly smoking (very hot), lay the cutlets in the pan.
Cook for one or two minutes on the first side.
- 2 min.Turn the cutlets (using tongs if possible) and cook for one or two minutes on the other side.
- 3 min.Serve immediately. The traditional garnish is a slice of lemon and a sprig of parsley.
Remarks:Ask your Butcher to prepare the cutlets nice and fine for you, cut vertically and from the cushion (thick part of the leg) if possible, as this is important for the recipe. Explain that you are making Wiener schnitzels and any good butcher will know what to do.
Please note that if you cook the cutlets in batches, you will need to change the oil as bits of the breadcrumb coating will fall off and they will burn if left in the pan too long.
And to drink?To be true to the dish's origins, a bottle of Grà¼ner Veltliner, the Austrian white wine.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Breton sablé biscuit dough, Fillets of sole meunière, Hamburgers, Little Christmas biscuits, Buckwheat almond biscuits, ... [All]
- Breadcrumbs: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: French toast "cordon bleu", Crab Cakes, Tomatoes Provençal, Sesame fried scampi, Curried tuna cubes, ... [All]
- Oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Steak burger topped with egg, Mayonnaise, Pork chops in the oven, Fillet of beef in a rosemary crust, Cocotte eggs with Comté, ... [All]
- Escalope of veal: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Involtinis, ... [All]