Big knife-cut chips (French fries)
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
252K4.0 February 21th 2011
For 6 people, you will need:
- 1 1 kg potatoes
- Total weight: 1,000 grams
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|35 min.||44 min.||1 hour 19 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Wash potatoes, and steam or cook in water.
- 2: Allow to cool, then cut with a knife lengthways keeping the skin.
Make the pieces big: in quarters, or if possible in long square shapes.
Try to keep a skin side to each one.
- 3: Heat oil to 374°F (190°C). Put potato pieces in the deep fryer basket, keeping them apart.
- 4: Fry for 3 or 4 minutes maximum.
- 5: Drain, tip onto on absorbant paper and salt immediately.
Continue in the same way for all the potaoes, and serve as soon as possible.
Don't use new potatoes for this recipe, your chips (French fries) will not taste very good. Instead, choose floury varieties kinds like bintje, samba or mona-lisa.
These big fries go vey well with béarnaise sauce
. Of course there loads of calories in that, so it's not for every day, but as an exceptional treat with a green leaf salad, a great taste!
If you need to make a lot at once for a gathering of friends or family, I suggest you cook them in two stages: first as indicated for 3 minutes only, and a second time just one minute before serving but a full basket at a time, as they can touch now.
July 4th 2022.