A recipe from cooking-ez.com
For 500 g, you will need:
Step by step recipe
- 1: Remove ends of 5 vanillas pod and discard.
- 2: Cut into 4 or 5 sections.
- 3: Put in a food-processor with 1/4 of 500 g caster sugar.
- 4: Blend 2 or 3 minutes.
- 5: Sieve the result through a fine strainer into a bowl...
- 6: ...until all the sugar fall down.
- 7: Put remaining vanilla pods into food processor, add another ¼ of sugar and repeat the operation.
Continue until you have used all the sugar.
- 8: At the end, you will have a little sugar left with the vanilla pods that's impossible to sieve. Do not throw it away: use in a recipe like crème brûlée or confectioner's custard (crème pâtissière, or french pastry cream), where you can dissolve it in hot milk which will be then filtered.
- 9: Put your vanilla sugar in an airtight jar and keep, if possible, 3 weeks before using, so that the vanilla aromas mix well with the sugar.
During these three weeks, stir it with a fork once a week, so that it does not form lumps.
You can make multiples of the proportions indicated, but it is important to respect 100 g sugar per vanilla pod.
Don't believe those "recipes" who tell you that putting a vanilla pod in a jar of sugar will give you vanilla sugar, it's a lie because the vanilla pod is impervious.
July 8th 2020.