Candied grapefruit peel
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
344K 13.7 December 20th 2018
For 500 g, you will need:
- 1 4 grapefruits
- 2 350 g caster sugar
- 3 100 g granulated sugar
- Total weight: 1,810 grams
|Preparation||Resting||Cooking||Start to finish|
|21 min.||1 day||1 hour||1 day 1 hour 21 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Get skins from 4 grapefruits , organic if possible, and clean to remove all traces of wax or other products from the skin, then rinse.
You should have 4 equal sized pieces of peel per grapefruit.
- 2: Cut each piece of peel into strips about 0.5 cm or ¼ inch wide.
- 3: If you keep some flesh of fruits with skins because you have peel fruit completely, don't remove it, actually it's better.
- 4: Put these strips in a pan, cover with cold water and leave overnight.
Next day, change water and leave about 4 hours longer.
Note: We do that because we want to remove excessive bitter of skins.
- 5: After this time, drain peel strips and weigh them. Then put in a pan with their weight in sugar, and their weight in water (if possible filtered or mineral to avoid the chlorine taste).
- 6: Cook slowly over gentle heat, stiring from time to time...
- 7: ... until there is hardly any liquid left.
- 8: Spread out on a cooking parchment on a baking sheet.
Leave overnight or longer, until they become a bit firm (to your taste).
- 9: Then roll in a little caster sugar with a fork to coat them lightly.
Keep in an airtight container.
It's possible to use other citrus fruit: oranges, lemons, limes and clementines.
September 27th 2023.