Home-made potato crisps
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
For 200 g, you will need:
|Preparation||Resting||Cooking||Start to finish|
|15 min.||5 min.||6 min.||26 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Peel the potatoes and rinse them.
If you want to make "old-fashioned" crisps, do not peel them, just scrub them thoroughly under running water.
- 2: Slice the potatoes thinly and evenly. I advise you to use a mandolin, more-or-less essential for producing even slices.
- 3: The ideal thickness you should aim for is 1 mm.
- 4: Rinse the slices in a bowl of water.
- 5: Drain and dry thoroughly on a tea towel.
- 6: When dry, lower into very hot frying oil.
Do not put in too many at a time, as they will create a white foam that can froth up and overflow.
Fry until the froth disappears (around 3 minutes).
- 7: Remove the crisps from the oil and leave for 5 minutes.
- 8: Put the chips back into the oil and fry again until golden brown.
- 9: Tip onto absorbant paper, and sprinkle with salt.
- 10: For flavoured crisps, replace the salt with a mixture of a little salt and your choice of spice (curry, paprika, etc.).
The variety of potato affects the crisps' quality. I find I get the best results with Bintje.
December 14th 2019.