How to prepare white beans
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
4,4003.5 August 16th 2023
For 500 g, you will need:
- 1 500 g white haricot beans
- 2 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 3 ½ teaspoon Bicarbonate of (baking) soda (optional)
- Total weight: 530 grams
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|12 hours 2 min.||15 min.||12 hours 17 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Pour 500 g white haricot beans into a bowl, and cover with plenty of cold water.
Leave overnight to soften.
- 2: The next day, drain and rinse under cold water.
- 3: Pour the beans into a large saucepan over medium heat, cover with plenty of cold water, add 2 tablespoons coarse salt and if possible ½ teaspoon Bicarbonate of (baking) soda and bring to the boil.
At first, a foam may form on the surface - this is normal - skim off the foam and discard.
Continue cooking, covered, until the beans are tender, then turn off the heat.
- 4: Drain the beans, they are ready to be used in your recipe.
You'll notice that the beans take quite a long time to cook, but if you add a little baking soda in step 3
, which tenderizes the bean skin, the cooking time is much reduced.
December 8th 2023.