A recipe from cooking-ez.com
For 350 ml, you will need:
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|3 min.||15 min.||18 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a pan on low heat.
When it sizzles, add 2 tablespoons flour all at once.
- 2: Mix well and cook, stirring continuously, until the mixture become light brown.
This mix, which can be prepared beforehand, is called a "roux", and in this case a "blond roux". If you continue cooking, you will get a "brown roux".
- 3: Pour 2 glasses milk (cold) onto the roux, all at once. Mix thoroughly.
You have there the secret of succeeding with a bechamel:
- if roux is hot, add cold milk
- if roux is cold (perpared beforehand), add hot milk
Salt, pepper and add grated nutmeg.
Leave to cook on low heat, stirring up continuously until bechamel thickens.
- 4: The thickness of bechamel is a question of taste.
- 5: You can make variations on bechamel: like for example Mornay sauce, which is a bechamel with grated cheese added.
Bechamel can be easily made beforehand, and reheated when necessary.
April 19th 2019.