Canadian apple crumble
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
For 4 people, you will need:
- 1 75 g rolled oats
- 2 75 g flour
- 3 100 g butter
- 4 80 g brown sugar
- 5 1 kg apple
- 6 50 ml maple syrup
- Total weight: 1,380 grams
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|30 min.||55 min.||1 hour 25 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
Spread 75 g rolled oats on a sheet of cooking parchment laid on a baking sheet.
- 2: Toast the oats in the oven for 15 minutes.
Leave to cool.
- 3: Put 75 g flour, 100 g butter (cut into small pieces) and 80 g brown sugar into a bowl.
- 4: Add the toasted oats when they have cooled.
- 5: Mix lightly with your fingertips until the mixture is crumb-like.
- 6: Butter an oven-proof dish.
Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C).
- 7: Peel 1 kg apple and slice.
Spread evenly in the dish.
- 8: Drizzle maple syrup over the apples.
- 9: Spread the crumble topping over the apples.
- 10: Bake for about 40 minutes.
As the crumble is already plenty sweet enough, with the addition of maple syrup, you can easily reduce the amount of sugar without drastically affecting the result.
Likewise, it's best to choose a fairly tart variety of apple: a good cooking apple, like Bramley, or one of the more acidic eaters, such as Cox or a russet.
February 23th 2020.