Thaï rice with small vegetables
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
257K4.4 February 21th 2011
For 6 people, you will need:
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|1 hour 21 min.||13 min.||1 hour 34 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Cook 300 g Thai rice.
This can be done beforehand, even several days before.
- 2: Peel and wash: 3 carrots, 3 turnips, 3 leeks, ½ cauliflower and 1 shallot.
- 3: Cut carrots and turnips into small pieces.
- 4: Chop leeks finely.
- 5: Chop shallot.
- 6: Cut cauliflower into florets.
- 7: Pour 4 tablespoons olive oil into a large pan on medium heat, as soon as oil is hot, add shallot, salt, pepper, and cook 1 minute.
- 8: Add carrots, turnips and cauliflower.
Stir well, but do not salt at this stage to prevent vegetables from releasing too much water.
- 9: Cover and leave to cook 7 minutes.
We put these vegetables in first, because they take longer to cook than leeks, and leeks became a dull green if overcooked.
- 10: After this time, remove lid and add leeks, mix well and cook uncovered for 3 minutes.
- 11: After this time add cooked rice, mix well and cook 2 more minutes, still uncovered.
Salt, pepper, and check seasoning.
- 12: Your Thaï rice with small vegetables is ready.
For success with this recipe, it's important that leeks stay a pretty green and are not overcooked, it's more attractive and tastier. That's why the lid is removed when they go in the pan as the last vegetables.
You can use a different kind of rice: apart from Thaï, there's Basmati, Italian, Camargue, etc.
July 3rd 2022.