How to prepare an onion or shallot
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
Step by step recipe
- 1: Place an onion or shallot on its side.
- 2: Cut off the base (about ½ cm or ¼") and discard.
- 3: Do the same with the top.
- 4: Slit the whole height of the skin down the side.
- 5: Peel off the skin to leave just the white flesh.
- 6: Rinse and dry.
- 7: Cut in half lengthways.
- 8: Place flat side down, and slice horizontally, but without cutting right to the end, so that the slices are still held together.
- 9: Then slice vertically, again without cutting right to the end. You will then have small sticks held together by the uncut portion.
- 10: And finally, slice downwards, as if slicing the half shallot normally, to cut into small pieces ready to add to your recipe.
- 11: Finish by chopping the uncut portion.
- 12: Do the same with the other half, and your shallot is ready for use.
- 13: See all this steps in a small video.
February 19th 2020.