How to prepare Jerusalem artichokes
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
9,5694.3 January 11th 2023
For 850 g, you will need:
- 1 1 kg Jerusalem artichokes
- 2 1 litre water
- 3 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- Total weight: 2,030 grams
Step by step recipe
- 1: Jerusalem artichokes are very hard, which is a good way to check that they are fresh because they soften as they age.
- 2: Start by cutting off the top.
- 3: Then peel with a peeler, it is not easy, Jerusalem artichokes often having a little bit of a bent shape.
- 4: Dip into a bowl of water as you go.
- 5: Then cut into thin slices (a mandolin is ideal for this).
- 6: Plunge the slices into a large pot of boiling salted water ( English style cooking).
A scum will form...
- 7: ...you can remove it for further cooking.
Cook until the Jerusalem artichokes are tender (about 8-10 minutes).
- 8: Then drain and rinse under cold water.
Your Jerusalem artichokes are ready to be used in your recipe.
Once peeled the Jerusalem artichoke has a tendency to oxidize, do not hesitate to add in the water at step 4
a lemon juice, or better a point of vitamin C
December 8th 2023.