African style chicken
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
343K4.3 February 21th 2011
For 6 people, you will need:
- 0 1 smoked chicken
- 1 1 onion
- 2 4 tablespoons palm oil
- 3 150 ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 500 g tinned red kidney beans
- 5 125 g button or field mushrooms (optional)
- 6 125 g small pieces of bacon
- 7 250 ml tomato coulis
- 8 fine (or table) salt
- 9 pepper
- 10 1 tablespoon palm oil
- 11 2 tablespoons palm oil
- Total weight: 3,180 grams
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|26 min.||1 hour 38 min.||2 hours 4 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Skin 1 smoked chicken, keeping only flesh (discard skin and bones), then cut out into small pieces.
- 2: In large pan, heat 4 tablespoons palm oil (or olive oil), then add chopped 1 onion, salt and pepper.
Cook for a few minutes without browning too much.
- 3: Add chicken pieces.
- 4: Stir well, and cook a few minutes while stirring so it doesn't catch on the bottom.
- 5: Pour in half of 250 ml tomato coulis.
- 6: Stir well.
- 7: Pour in 150 ml unsweetened coconut milk, stir well.
- 8: Cover and leave to cook on low heat for at least an hour.
- 9: Meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon palm oil in a frying pan, then add 125 g small pieces of bacon and cook for a few minutes until they are lightly fried.
- 10: In another pan, heat 2 tablespoons palm oil, then add drained and rinsed 500 g tinned red kidney beans.
Cook one or two minutes while stirring so that that they do not burn on bottom.
- 11: Add remaining tomato coulis, then fried bacon, and 125 g button or field mushrooms if desired.
- 12: Stir well and leave to cook covered on low heat until chicken has its full cooking time.
Meanwhile cook rice.
- 13: To serve, put rice onto a plate, add beans on top, then chicken.
You can easily replace palm oil with olive oil, for a tastier dish tomato coulis by tomato sauce for pizzas
It's a meal which can easily be re-heated or frozen. So do not hesitate to make a good deal of it, even if it's for the first time.
September 26th 2021.