Poppy seed and lemon cake
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
22K 23.9 November 17th 2019
For 1 cake, you will need:
|Preparation||Resting||Cooking||Start to finish|
|9 min.||1 hour||45 min.||1 hour 54 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C).
Lay a sheet of cooking parchment on a baking sheet and spread out 25 g poppy seeds on it.
Toast in the oven for just 5 minutes.
Leave to cool.
- 2: Put 180 g caster sugar and 180 g butter into a mixer bowl.
Start the mixer and beat until evenly mixed.
- 3: Add 200 g egg, 200 g flour, 10 g baking powder, 5 g fine (or table) salt and the zest of 1 lemon.
Continue beating until evenly mixed.
- 4: Finish by adding the cold toasted poppy seeds. Beat for 1 further minute to mix in thoroughly.
- 5: Transfer the mixture into a non-stick or well-buttered (or both) tin or mould.
It is not essential, but I recommend putting the tin in the fridge for an hour or more to firm up the mixture; this helps it rise better as it cooks.
- 6: Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C) and bake the cake for about 40 minutes.
- 7: Turn the cake out gently and leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.
Do take care not to over-toast the poppy seeds. They are very small, so 5 minutes is plenty long enough.
For a more intense lemon flavour, add a little more lemon juice.
September 27th 2021.