Strawberries in a thyme and lemon-flavoured red wine reduction
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
For 4 people, you will need:
|Preparation||Resting||Cooking||Start to finish|
|23 min.||15 min.||45 min.||1 hour 23 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Pour 750 ml red wine into a saucepan on medium heat. bring to the boil, then leave to boil gently until reduced by half.
- 2: Add to the reduced red wine: 150 g caster sugar, 2 sprigs thyme and the zest of 1 lemon.
- 3: Put the pan back on the heat and reduce again by half.
- 4: Filter the contents of the pan through a fine strainer.
- 5: You will now have a red wine reduction flavoured with thyme and lemon.
Leave to cool, then cover and refrigerate.
- 6: Prepare 500 g strawberries, remove the green tops and cut in 4 lengthways.
Put into a bowl.
- 7: Pour the cold red wine reduction over, mix well and leave to steep for 15 minutes.
- 8: Divide out into small dishes and pour a generous slurp of the red wine reduction over.
- 9: Finish with a beautifully piped rosette of whipped cream (Chantilly) and garnish, if you like, with a mint leaf.
Serve cool but, above all, not too cold.
If possible, opt for a fairly light red wine with not too much tannin.
If you don't have time to whip cream, replace this with a generous spoonful of thick crème fraiche, sprinkled with a little caster sugar.
June 2nd 2020.