A recipe from cooking-ez.com
504K 14.2 February 21th 2011
For 8 Pittas bread, you will need:
|Preparation||Resting||Cooking||Start to finish|
|22 min.||2 hours 30 min.||3 min.||2 hours 55 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: In the mixer bowl, or a large bowl, pour ½ teaspoon caster sugar, 9 g salt and 300 ml water (warm).
Add 500 g flour, 25 g yeast, and finally 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 2: Knead for 4 minutes on medium speed (position "1"), or manually until you get a smooth elastic dough.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 3: Gather the dough into a ball, dust with flour, then cover with a plastic sheet. Leave to rise at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours, until the dough is doubled in volume.
- 4: Cut the dough into 7 or 8 small lumps. Roll into balls, place well spaced on a baking sheet, and cover with a damp tea-towel.
Leave to rise again for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
- 5: Then roll out the balls of dough into flat rounds approximately 10-15 cm (4-6") diameter and about 5 mm ( ¼") thick (they should not be any thinner).
- 6: Cook the pitta:
- Using a wood fire if you have a bread oven
- In a convential oven at 240°C ou 464°F, directly on the oven floor
- 7: If you use a bread oven, take care because the pitta cook very quickly (one minute or less!), and need to be turned round and over to colour uniformly.
Your pitta bread is finished.
- 8: You could throw a "pitta party", preparing everything to be put out on the table, leaving your guests to assemble their own pitta sandwiches. Choose a variety of fillings such as:
Diced tomato and cucumber with herbs and vinaigrette.
- 9: Diced avocado in a lime and olive oil vinaigrette.
- 10: Tuna rillettes.
- 11: Guacamole, Hummus, etc.
- 12: To make a pitta sandwich, cut in half while still warm.
- 13: Then fill the pocket of each half as you choose from the suggestions above.
An idea to try: a complete pitta meal with a savoury course as described above, and a sweet course with small diced fruit, custard cream
or whipped cream
, melted chocolate, etc... For the sweet part, it's a good idea to dust
the pittas with caster sugar before puting them to the oven, so that they caramelize slightly.
March 23th 2023.