How to make marzipan decorations
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
you will need:
Step by step recipe
- 1: Place the flattened disc of marzipan on a sheet of cooking parchment, and dust with icing sugar.
- 2: Then start to roll with a rolling pin as if rolling out pastry for a tart.
If the marzipan sticks to the rolling pin, dust with more icing sugar.
- 3: If you are using a large piece of marzipan, try cutting it in two and roll out half at a time; you'll find it much easier.
- 4: The best trick, as shown in the photo, is to put guides of the required thickness on either side (here 2 pieces of perspex 2mm thick). This ensures even rolling and you can be sure of having the right thickness.
- 5: Eventually you should have a fine "sheet" of marzipan, thin and as even as possible.
Unstick it from the paper, turn it over and put it back in place. This will help when you are cutting out.
- 6: You can now cut anything you wish using a knife...
- 7: ...or better still, cutters in various shapes.
- 8: To make leaves, for example, first cut a circle using a fluted cutter, then cut the circle in two.
- 9: Draw the veins of the leaf with the point of a knife.
- 10: You can also join pieces together easily...
- 11: ... by overlapping them and pressing gently to stick them together.
- 12: A tip: move your creations with a palette-knife, or if not, with a fork, to avoid breaking them at the last minute.
Marzipan decorations dry out quite quickly if you don't use them straight away. Wrap them in plastic film
and keep in the fridge.
December 1st 2020.