Rabbit with mustard
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
For 4 people, you will need:
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|48 min.||1 hour 21 min.||2 hours 9 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Bone the rabbit completely. Put the pieces of meat on one side, the bones on the other - but do not throw these way.
- 2: Salt and pepper the pieces of rabbit on each side, then coat liberally with French mustard (milder than the fiery English kind) using a brush. Finish with a sprinkling of thyme.
Preheat the oven to 160°C (330°F).
- 3: Pour 4 tablespoons olive oil into a large pan on high heat. When this is hot, add the pieces of rabbit.
Brown lightly on each side. Do this in batches if necessary.
- 4: Put the pieces of rabbit in an oven-proof dish covered with cooking film, and put in the oven for about 40 minutes.
- 5: Meanwhile, break the rabbit bones up roughly with a cleaver or heavy knife.
- 6: Put these into the same pan as you used for the meat and brown them, turning from time to time.
When they are nicely browned, pour in 4 glasses dry white wine, salt and pepper, deglaze, stir well and leave to reduce by half on low heat.
- 7: When the stock is well reduced, filter, discard the bones and keep the sauce hot.
- 8: Cook 500 g broad beans in salted boiling water until they are tender, then plunge them into very cold water and drain.
- 9: Peel 300 g mushrooms and cut into small pieces.
Prepare 1 shallot and chop them.
- 10: Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into a large pan and when hot, add the shallot and cook for 1 minute.
Add the mushrooms and fry for 2 or 3 minutes. Stop as soon as they begin to give off liquid.
- 11: Drain and set aside.
- 12: Pour 2 tablespoons olive oil into the same pan and when hot, add 200 g small pieces of bacon cut in small pieces.
Cook until they are well fried.
- 13: Tip the broad beans and mushrooms into the pan, stir and reheat.
- 14: Serve the rabbit pieces beside the bean mixture and pour the sauce over.
You can also thicken the sauce with a teaspoonful of cornflour, reheated gently while stirring constantly.
October 26th 2020.