Pears in red wine with blackcurrant
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
226K4.1 February 21th 2011
For 6 people, you will need:
|Preparation||Resting||Cooking||Start to finish|
|55 min.||1 hour||40 min.||2 hours 35 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: In a pan, pour 750 ml red wine, 250 ml Blackcurrant liqueur and 100 g caster sugar.
- 2: For each pears, one by one: peel, cut in two, remove core and if necessary fiber around tail.
- 3: Put immediately the half in syrup to prevent from blackening.
Proceed so with all pears.
- 4: Put pan on low fire, add 1 vanilla pod, and make cook pears uncovered until they are well soft.
Let cool in the syrup, covered this time, if possible during all night.
- 5: Tomorrow, remove pears from syrup, put in another container, and covered by a half of syrup.
Cover and let wait at ambient temperature.
- 6: Put back pan on low fire, and make reduce a half volume.
- 7: When syrup is reduced, pour through a fine strainer, in a smaller pan.
- 8: Bring to boil and add 2 pinches agar-agar, mix well with a fork, and remove from fire.
Let thicken when cooling.
- 9: A bit before serving, cut half pears from top to bottom in several thin parts.
- 10: The goal is not to cut half-part, but to make a kind of hand-held fan, you should start from top but leaving about half inch uncut.
Put a half pear by service plate, and spread cuts to shape the hand-held fan.
- 11: Fill one plate side with custard sauce (crème anglaise) and the other one with cooking syrup.
Decorate with a mint leaf.
If you don't have agar-agar you can use corn-flour instead.
June 9th 2023.