A recipe from cooking-ez.com
For 4 pieces, you will need:
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|24 min.||47 min.||1 hour 11 min.|
Step by step recipe
Prepare the bread
Prepare 8 slices bread. If you are using a sandwich-type loaf or long French-style bread stick, leave the slices whole. If using a larger loaf, cut the slices in half (like in the photos).
- 2: Melt 40 g butter, then use a brush to coat one side of the bread with melted butter.
Arrange the slices on a baking sheet, buttered side downwards.
Prepare the creamed leeks
Prepare 3 leeks and chop finely.
- 4: Prepare 1 shallot and chop finely.
Pour 3 tablespoons olive oil into a large frying pan and when really hot, add the chopped shallot, salt and pepper.
Cook for 1 minute without colouring.
- 5: Add the chopped leeks, salt and pepper again and mix well.
Cook for 1 or 2 minutes covered...
- 6: ...then add 150 ml cream and leave uncovered on low heat to reduce.
- 7: You should end up with a creamy leek "fondue" of fairly thick consistency.
Fry the ham
Fry 4 slices smoked ham for 1 or 2 minutes on each side until nicely browned.
Fry the potatoes
Slice 250 g cooked potato into thin rounds and pan-fry on both sides in 4 tablespoons olive oil.
Assemble the croque-monsieursPreheat the oven at 390°F (200°C).
Arrange a layer of fried potatoes on half the slices of bread.
- 11: Top with a layer of creamed leeks.
- 12: Then a slice of fried ham.
- 13: Finish by adding a second slice of bread, buttered side outwards.
Brown the croque-monsieurs
Cook the corque-monsieurs in the oven for about 20 minutes until the bread is nicely browned on top.
- 15: Serve piping hot on its own or with a little lettuce "chiffonade".
You can use grilled bacon or fried lardons instead of the ham, if you prefer.
December 16th 2019.