Endives "bonne femme"
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
For 4 people, you will need:
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|38 min.||45 min.||1 hour 23 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Prepare and chop 300 g onion.
- 2: Peel 500 g potatoes and slice, then rinse and dry.
- 3: Pour 4 tablespoons olive oil into a large saucepan or casserole on medium heat.
When hot, add 200 g small pieces of smoked bacon and cook for 2 or 3 minutes while stirring.
- 4: Add the chopped onion, salt and pepper and stir well. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes without colouring.
- 5: Add the sliced potatoes, salt and pepper again and stir well.
Cover and leave to cook for about 30 minutes.
- 6: Meanwhile, prepare 700 g endives (head of chicory) but do not blanch, then cut into pieces.
- 7: Add the endives to the pan, add the juice of ½ lemon and stir well.
Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- 8: Remove the lid and check if the potatoes are cooked. They should be soft. If not, leave to finish cooking without the lid.
- 9: Serve piping hot, either on individual plates or straight from the pan in the middle of the table.
As with any cunningly modest recipe like this one, the proportions are very approximate, so you can adapt it to suit yourself.
I love to eat this with a drizzle of vinegar over it, but that's a matter of personal taste.
October 22th 2019.