Roast cabbage with lemon
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
13K4 August 26th 2020
For 4 people, you will need:
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|28 min.||25 min.||53 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: In a small bowl, mix: 100 ml olive oil, the zest of 2 lemons, salt and pepper.
- 2: Grate 50 g Parmigiano reggiano (Parmesan).
Pluck off the tarragon leaves and discard the stalks.
- 3: Remove the cabbage's outer leaves and its tough stalk.
Note : I am using a pointed cabbage (hispi or sugarloaf type) here. I recommend them as ideally suited to this recipe.
- 4: Cut into thick slices and cut the top point in half lengthways.
- 5: Cut out the hard centre stalk from each slice, then arrange on a baking sheet lined with a sheet of cooking parchment.
- 6: Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C).
Use a brush to coat the cabbage slices all over with lemon-flavoured oil.
- 7: When you have brushed all the cabbage, there should be about 2 tablespoonsful of oil left over.
salt and pepper each cabbage slice.
- 8: Roast in the oven for about 25 minutes. The cabbage should be nicely browned, the edges almost burnt.
- 9: Add the juice of 1 lemon to the remaining oil and mix well.
- 10: Transfer the cabbage slices onto the plates and brush again with the lemon-flavoured oil.
Top with the chopped tarragon leaves and grated Parmesan.
As always with Yotam Ottolenghi, this very simple, but every detail counts. You will notice how the cheese isn't browned, only added on top of the cabbage as it comes out of the oven, along with the tarragon – just perfect!
If you are using a normal-sized cabbage, cut the slices in half or they will be too big to cook right through properly.
September 20th 2021.