A recipe from cooking-ez.com
263K4.7 February 21th 2011
For 2 Frozens Nougat, you will need:
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|1 hour 18 min.||10 min.||1 hour 28 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Make whipped cream (Chantilly) with 200 ml liquid cream and 10 g Vanilla sugar, then keep in fridge.
- 2: Put 2 sheets gelatin in a bowl of cold water.
- 3: Toast 80 g whole almonds and 80 g pistachios by putting them on a baking sheet.
- 4: And put in hot oven 200°C or 392°F for 3 - 5 minutes. Watch this carefully: almonds and pistachios should not be too browned.
- 5: Once cooled, coarsly blend or chop almonds and pistachios. Set aside.
- 6: Cut 80 g dried apricots into fine strips.
- 7: Cut strips again in small dice.
- 8: Put 80 g raisins in boiling water and leave to swell 5 minutes.
- 9: Warm (in microwave for instance) 2 tablespoons rum.
Drain gelatin, dry it on a teatowel, then dissolve in warmed rum.
- 10: Prepare 350 g Italian Meringue, and while you finish beating, add gelatin in rum a spoonful at a time.
- 11: Add raisins and apricots to meringue.
- 12: Then almonds and pistachios.
- 13: And finally whipped cream.
- 14: Tilt the bowl and fold the ingredients gently into the meringue.
- 15: Cover the base of a cake mould with a plastic film to make turning out easier.
- 16: Fill the mould with mixture without pressing down, it should remain light.
- 17: Fold over plastic film on top, and put in the freezer overnight or longer.
- 18: On the day, slice the nougat and serve on a plate, surrounded with a little raspberry coulis, and with a mint leaf and/or piece of crystallized grapefruit on top.
Any kind of dried fruits can be substituted: instead of apricots, raisins, almonds and pistachios you can use walnuts, hazelnuts, prunes, bananas, etc.
Same thing for the coulis, it can be made with strawberries, blackberries, blackcurrants,... I really recommend you use something slightly acidic to contrast with the sweetness of the nougat.
For the meringue you have two possible methods:
You can choose one or the other. My preference is for the more delicate Italian meringue, more diffcult to do, but much smoother.
December 8th 2023.