A recipe from cooking-ez.com
5,6114.3 June 4th 2023
For 15 pieces, you will need:
|Preparation||Resting||Cooking||Start to finish|
|35 min.||2 hours||30 min.||3 hours 5 min.|
Step by step recipe
Preparation of the doughIn a small bowl, pour 160 g butter cut into small pieces.
If the butter is cold (it comes out of the fridge), let it soften at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- 2: Sift 50 g icing sugar over butter, then add 10 g Vanilla sugar.
- 3: Mix with a wooden spatula until smooth.
- 4: Add 220 g flour, 2 pinches fine (or table) salt and 30 g egg white.
- 5: Mix until you have a smooth dough.
You can do this with a spatula again, or simply by hand, which is very quick.
Preheat your oven to 180°C (360°F).
- 6: Put the dough in a pastry bag lined with a fluted tip.
Piping and bakingPipe the dough onto a sheet of baking paper on a baking sheet in any shape or size you like.
If you have trouble because the dough is too hard, pop the piping bag into the microwave for a few seconds, or hold it between your hands, to soften it.
- 8: Bake for about 30 minutes, be careful not to overcook them, the shortbread should remain soft.
- 9: Let cool on a wire rack.
Set aside the baking sheet and the paper.
Chocolate toppingMelt in a bain-marie or microwave oven 100 g dark chocolate.
I recommend using a small container with high sides, in this case a simple jam jar, it will be much easier to dip the cookies.
- 11: Dip the end, or ends, of each cookie into the melted chocolate.
- 12: Place them on the baking sheet, do this for all the shortbread and then put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- 13: Your Viennese shortbread is ready.
If your shortbread flattens out after baking, as in this photo, it's probably because you used a little too much butter.
December 8th 2023.