Creamy risotto with diced vegetables and flax seeds
A recipe from cooking-ez.com
For 6 people, you will need:
|Preparation||Cooking||Start to finish|
|1 hour 5 min.||44 min.||1 hour 49 min.|
Step by step recipe
- 1: Peel, wash and cut into dice 3 carrots and 3 turnips.
- 2: Prepare 1 onion and 1 shallot.
- 3: Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan on moderate heat. When hot, add shallot, salt, pepper and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- 4: Add diced vegetables, mix well, cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Tip them into a bowl.
Mix hot 450 ml water and 1 chicken stock cube to make a chicken stock.
- 5: Pour 4 tablespoons olive oil into the same pan, when oil is hot add onion, salt, pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 6: Pour in 300 ml rice and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula, until rice is translucent (French chefs talk of "pearled" rice).
- 7: Pour in 100 ml dry white wine, and stir continuously until all is absorbed by rice.
- 8: Add 1 Bouquet garni and 1/4 of chicken stock...
- 9: ...and stir continuously until it is all absorbed by rice.
- 10: Do this 3 more again, until all chicken stock is used up, always stirring continuously.
It's a bit boring, but this is the secret of risotto, and that's the difference with other methods of cooking rice like riz pilaf for example.
- 11: Then pour in 100 ml liquid cream and mix well.
- 12: Discard bouquet-garni, add diced vegetables, mix well, turn down heat to low, and allow to heat through for a few minutes.
- 13: Meanwhile, pour 40 g linseed into a frying pan without fat, and cook for a few minutes while shaking the pan from time to time.
Flax seeds are done when the first ones jump like pop corn. At this point cover (otherwise you will lost most of them) and take off the heat.
- 14: Finish by adding flax seed, mix well, it's ready.
Serve by putting the pan in the centre table so that all the guests can serve themselves.
Note: Risotto can keep a little while covered on low heat, stirring from time to time.
Golden rule for risotto is: chicken stock volume = 1.5 X rice volume.
Normally you should use a special Italian risotto rice, the most suitable for this recipe, but if you don't have any, don't worry: use what you have.
Don't hesitate to use vegetables other than carrots and turnips. Some home tested suggestions: courgettes, fresh broad beans, green peas, mushrooms, ...
August 21th 2019.