Glossary (talk like a chef): Rise (or prove)

Rise (or prove)

Rise (or prove)

Removing for use the best part of a fish, poultry, etc.

Example: "Ask your fishmonger to fillet the salmon. "

Meaning: Ask your fishmonger to prepare salmon by skinning and filleting, and keep only these fillets.
8,910 14× 4/5 based on 20 reviews
Grade this page:

Last modified on: August 11th 2023

Post a comment or question
Posted by:
I am not a leaving thing
The 14 comments already posted on this page
  • Recipe from this site?
    Posted by jh december 25th 2020 at 18:47 n° 14
  • I just made a sauerkraut salad cold winter salad and it says to let it rest for four hours before serving. Does that mean leave it out of the refrigerator or should you refrigerate it
    Posted by Anonymous december 25th 2020 at 18:07 n° 13
  • In french?
    Posted by jh october 5th 2019 at 07:48 n° 12
  • Is there a phrase to use, in a restaurant when asking for the head to be removed from fish?
    Posted by Lynn october 4th 2019 at 22:27 n° 11
  • Maybe 'Punwa' is Brunoise?
    Posted by Andy F august 2nd 2016 at 17:09 n° 10
  • I use "en chemise" also for boiled potatoes, as served with raclette, for example.
    Posted by Carlo july 23th 2016 at 13:43 n° 9
  • They don't exist in French.
    The second could be "Matignon", it's a mix of vegetables cutted in small dices, and cooked in olive oil.
    Posted by jh july 8th 2013 at 08:57 n° 8
  • What are words which sound like 'punwa' and 'matignor' in french
    Posted by arissafahim july 8th 2013 at 07:29 n° 7
  • It is actually spelt mise-en-place, it is defined as before you start cooking, you have time to prepare e.g. Put apron on, wash hands, get equipment, weigh ingredients out and chop up vegetables or meat etc. These are just a few examples :)
    Posted by Anonymous june 19th 2013 at 21:43 n° 6
  • What about misanplas ?
    Posted by jon january 22th 2013 at 10:23 n° 5
  • I think it's a "grille" (a grid), but I'm not sure to have completely understand the question, sorry broken English...
    Posted by jh november 30th 2012 at 15:40 n° 4
  • What is the term chefs use for a tray that is specifically used for gathering ingredients?
    Posted by Anonymous november 30th 2012 at 00:03 n° 3
  • It's "rondelles de carottes"
    Posted by jh november 3rd 2010 at 10:11 n° 2
  • What is the french word for carrots cut into circles?
    Posted by copper penny carrots november 3rd 2010 at 09:50 n° 1

Back to top of page