Films and papers in the kitchen

349,860 times    8comments    note : 3.5 / 5
Grade this recipe

On this page: Overview - Plastic film - Cooking film - Oven cooking bags - Wax paper (US) or greaseproof paper (UK) - Cooking parchment - Aluminium foil - Absorbant kitchen paper - Dispensers - Save money

Other pages: Follow this page - Back to homepage - Send to a friend


There are now many different papers and plastic films available which are valuable aids, sometimes indispensable in the kitchen. Here is an overview of key products, and what can or can not be done with them.

Plastic film

This is a very thin plastic that can be stretched over a container, commonly used to protect food from the air.

It is found in supermarkets in rolls of about twenty meters or 60 feet as "plastic food wrap" or "cling film", or much longer rolls in shops for professionals. I think it's essential in the kitchen.

This film is resistant to cold in the freezer or fridge, but it can not be heated without melting. Impossible therefore to use it in the oven or microwave.

Cooking film

This is almost the same as the previous one, identical in appearance and a little more expensive, but can be heated up to 175C (347 F).

It is also found under the name of "plastic cooking wrap" or "microwave film". Check that the label states the temperature you are planning to use.

It can be used in the oven or microwave.

Note: If you drop a roll of plastic wrap on its end, it will be virtually useless because it's almost impossible to tear off regular sheets afterwards.

Oven cooking bags

These bags look like plastic freezer bags, but are in fact a kind of nylon, resistant to high temperatures up to 220C (428 F).

Originally from North America, they allow quite extraordinary cooking without added fat, as in the 5 hours poultry recipe. Also sold as "cooking bags", "oven bags" or "roasting bags".

They can be used in the oven or microwave.

Wax paper (US) or greaseproof paper (UK)

A little outdated now, this is a slightly stiff translucent white paper, resistant to heat, formerly much used to line tins or to protect pastry during baking.

Quoted in older books and recipes, it was necessary to wet the back of the paper to remove what was cooked on it (eg macaroons).

It has now largly been replaced by cooking parchment (see below).

Cooking parchment

Cooking parchment (or baking paper) is a greyish slightly stiff translucent paper, resistant to heat, ideal for baking because whatever is cooked on it comes away easily from its very slippery surface.

It can be found in supermarkets in rolls of about twenty meters or sixty feet, or in shops for professionals, in packs of different sized sheets as "silicone paper". I think it's essential in the kitchen.

Warning: cooking parchment paper has two sides that you can tell apart by rubbing with your finger. One side is slippery and it's on this side that items to be cooked should be put.

It can be used in the oven or microwave.

Aluminium foil

Aluminium foil is a thin sheet of aluminum, generally used to wrap foods for protection or during cooking.

It can be found in supermarkets in rolls of about thirty meters under the name "aluminum foil", "cooking foil", or much longer rolls in shops for professionals.

Warning: foil has two sides that look different, one side is shiny, the other dull. Food should be placed against the dull side.

It can be used in the oven, or barbecue, never in the microwave.

Note: If you drop a roll of foil on its end, it will be virtually useless because it's almost impossible to tear off regular sheets afterwards.

Absorbant kitchen paper

Kitchen paper, or kitchen roll, (frequently called "Sopalin", a trade name, in France) is a roll of thick embossed paper intended for absorbing liquids.

It is used for drying items placed on it after draining, also to wipe almost everything.

It can be found in supermarkets in rolls about twenty centimeters wide.


Having several of these papers or film in use requires storing all the different rolls in a closet or a drawer, which is not always practical.

I suggest you use a wall-mounted dispenser, which allows you to tear a sheet quickly from three (or more) different rolls.

Save money

As I said, you can buy rolls of about 10 meters in supermarkets, but there is something more smart to do: you can, in shops for professional, buy rolls of 300 meters for a very good price.

Don't be afraid by the length, 300 meters seems huge, but you will keep it for years, and most of all it's 10 times less expensive for a best quality!.
It's quite the same thing for cooking parchment, you can find it in box of 500 sheets.

This it's 8 times less expensive, and the sheets are flats (instead of roll) when use, and be reused several times.
In those 2 case, don't hesitate you will save money.

Back to top of page

Last modified on: December 3rd 2013

You might also like:

FloursMake your own hot-wire or styrofoam cutterList of all pagesNutritional information and ingredientsMy best addresses...Other cookery websitesA bread ovenIce-cream and sorbets
Nota: Rollover photos with your mouse to see page title.

Your 8 comments or questions on this page:

When was foil first used in Britain?
By Anonymous july 15th 2012 at 22:22 (n 1)
I don't know
By jh july 16th 2012 at 12:16 (n 2)
Can medical table exam paper be used in cooking?
By Anonymous july 18th 2012 at 23:42 (n 3)
Sorry I don't know either.

Guys, you have really strange questions...
By jh july 19th 2012 at 03:00 (n 4)
Hi Jean, thanks for the article! Any suggestions for cheap cooking film and oven bags? Am in UK now, but I see the cooking film's box in french.
By daki june 26th 2015 at 00:24 (n 5)
Hi Daki,

I had buy cooking bag at Tesco, it was a very reasonable price, and you have huge ones for turkey or big poultry that we haven't in France, lucky you are!
Sorry, no idea for cling film, except maybe to look in yellow pages for shops for chefs?
By jh june 26th 2015 at 12:01 (n 6)
Is it sticky one side?
By Anonymous november 1st 2016 at 08:11 (n 7)
Which one?
By jh november 2nd 2016 at 08:11 (n 8)
Post a comment or question:

You are welcome, if you wish, to comment on this page: why you like it or not, what you have changed, what results it gave, point out a mistake or omission, etc. You can also ask a question. I answer all questions (in a broken English, sorry) unless someone else does it before me.
Please feel free to say what you think, I'm always very interested in your opinion. Your comment will appear on line with the page, so please write in standard readable English, not SIM or only in CAPITALS, otherwise your comment may be rejected.

Please look at advice for submitting a comment or image (what you should or should not do). By the way, don't type your e-mail address in the comment, otherwise you might be spammed.

Posted by: March 23th 2017 at 11:29

Please check/tick this box to show that you are a real human being (protection against Spam)*.

I am not a leaving thing