Glossary (talk like a chef): Poolish



Poolish is a fermented batter, generally a mixture of water, flour and yeast which acts as the leaven for certain kinds of bread dough.

There are distinct bread types, depending on the rising agent: yeast-raised bread, poolish bread, and leavened bread.

Although it doesn't have the full flavour of a leavened bread, poolish gives a bread with more flavour than one just using yeast.

.[Translator's note: the term poolish is more common in French baking than in English. For more information see the Pre-ferment, article on Wikipedia.].

Example: "Prepare a poolish by mixing the water, flour, yeast and a teaspoon of sugar."

Meaning: Mix the ingredients thoroughly but gently, preferably using a whisk, until the mixture is quite smooth.
Remarks: The prepared mixture is covered and left in a warm place to ferment. This produces a rather sticky batter full of bubbles, the poolish, which can then be mixed with flour and water to make bread.
7,347 14× 4/5 based on 26 reviews
Grade this page:

Last modified on: August 11th 2023

Recipes which use this word: 1
Post a comment or question
Posted by:
I am not a leaving thing
The 14 comments already posted on this page
  • Recipe from this site?
    Posted by jh december 25th 2020 at 18:47 n° 14
  • I just made a sauerkraut salad cold winter salad and it says to let it rest for four hours before serving. Does that mean leave it out of the refrigerator or should you refrigerate it
    Posted by Anonymous december 25th 2020 at 18:07 n° 13
  • In french?
    Posted by jh october 5th 2019 at 07:48 n° 12
  • Is there a phrase to use, in a restaurant when asking for the head to be removed from fish?
    Posted by Lynn october 4th 2019 at 22:27 n° 11
  • Maybe 'Punwa' is Brunoise?
    Posted by Andy F august 2nd 2016 at 17:09 n° 10
  • I use "en chemise" also for boiled potatoes, as served with raclette, for example.
    Posted by Carlo july 23th 2016 at 13:43 n° 9
  • They don't exist in French.
    The second could be "Matignon", it's a mix of vegetables cutted in small dices, and cooked in olive oil.
    Posted by jh july 8th 2013 at 08:57 n° 8
  • What are words which sound like 'punwa' and 'matignor' in french
    Posted by arissafahim july 8th 2013 at 07:29 n° 7
  • It is actually spelt mise-en-place, it is defined as before you start cooking, you have time to prepare e.g. Put apron on, wash hands, get equipment, weigh ingredients out and chop up vegetables or meat etc. These are just a few examples :)
    Posted by Anonymous june 19th 2013 at 21:43 n° 6
  • What about misanplas ?
    Posted by jon january 22th 2013 at 10:23 n° 5
  • I think it's a "grille" (a grid), but I'm not sure to have completely understand the question, sorry broken English...
    Posted by jh november 30th 2012 at 15:40 n° 4
  • What is the term chefs use for a tray that is specifically used for gathering ingredients?
    Posted by Anonymous november 30th 2012 at 00:03 n° 3
  • It's "rondelles de carottes"
    Posted by jh november 3rd 2010 at 10:11 n° 2
  • What is the french word for carrots cut into circles?
    Posted by copper penny carrots november 3rd 2010 at 09:50 n° 1

Back to top of page