Step by step recipe:
- 40 min.Wash potatoes, and steam or cook in water.
- 5 min.Allow to cool, then cut with a knife lengthways keeping the skin.
Make the pieces big: in quarters, or if possible in long square shapes.
Try to keep a skin side to each one.
- 10 min.Heat oil to 374°F (190°C). Put potato pieces in the deep fryer basket, keeping them apart.
- 4 min.Fry for 3 or 4 minutes maximum.
- 20 min.Drain, tip onto on absorbant paper and salt immediately.
Continue in the same way for all the potaoes, and serve as soon as possible.
Remarks:Don't use new potatoes for this recipe, your chips (French fries) will not taste very good. Instead, choose floury varieties kinds like bintje, samba or mona-lisa.
These big fries go vey well with béarnaise sauce. Of course there loads of calories in that, so it's not for every day, but as an exceptional treat with a green leaf salad, a great taste!
If you need to make a lot at once for a gathering of friends or family, I suggest you cook them in two stages: first as indicated for 3 minutes only, and a second time just one minute before serving but a full basket at a time, as they can touch now.