Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Peel the asparagus: cut 1 cm (1/2 inch) off the bottom, then peel with a vegetable peeler from the bottom upwards, stopping before you reach the tip.
You can see how to do this in the video at the side.
- 5 min.Rinse the peeled asparagus under running water, paying particular attention to the tips that have not been peeled.
- 7 min.Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add salt and plunge in the asparagus. Cook for about 7 minutes.
- 1 min.Check if cooked by sticking a knife into a spear towards the base. It should go through the asparagus quite easily (like through butter).
- 5 min.Take the asparagus out of the pan and drain thoroughly.
- Lay the spears on absorbant paper to wait.
Your asparagus is ready.
Remarks:If the asparagus spears stay wet once cooked, they risk giving off water when eaten or when used in a recipe. This is why it is important to drain them well after cooking, even using a salad spinner.
You will find a lot of recipes that advise cooking asparagus "in a bundle". I don't find this particularly effective; simply cooking them in boiling water is far quicker.