Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Cucumber skin is fairly indigestible, so start by peeling the full length.
- 2 min.Trim off and discard the ends.
- 2 min.Cut the cucumber into pieces 7 or 8 cm long, which makes the next stage easier.
- 10 min.If you would like round slices, all that remains to be done is to slice the cucumber. The best tool for this is a mandoline.
- 10 min.If you prefer diced cucumber, cut the pieces into sticks, taking care to avoid the central part with the seeds.
The sticks should be nice and smooth, with just cucumber flesh and no seeds.
- 10 min.Cut the sticks into small dice.
- Your cucumber is now ready for use, whether in a mixed salad or on its own with a good vinaigrette dressing and a few herbs, fo example.
Remarks:If you prefer your cucumber tender and a little less crunchy, you can sprinkle the dice with salt and leave them in a sieve for about an hour to drain off some of the juice.
You will have noticed that when cucumbers are sliced, there are always the seeds in the middle, but these are less noticeable if the cucumber is sliced very thinly.
As mentioned above, it is quite normal not to eat the skin, but this is mainly a matter of personal taste. If thinly sliced, it poses little problem.