Step by step recipe:
- 1 min.
- 7 min.Spread 75 g flaked almonds out on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 6-7 minutes. They should only just be starting to colour and not fully cooked.
- 1 min.Meanwhile, tip 150 g caster sugar into a saucepan (preferably non-stick) and put on low to medium heat.
Do not add any water. This caramel will be made "dry" so that your nougatine will stay crunchy.
- 10 min.
- 1 min.Now you will need to work quickly, without interruption.
Tip all the toasted almonds, as hot as possible, into the caramel (ideally, try to synchronise the cooking of both to have them ready at the same time).
- 1 min.Mix well.
- 1 min.Turn the mixture out onto the cooking parchment.
- 4 min.Cover with the second sheet and roll out immediately with the rolling pin as thinly as possible.
- 1 min.If you want your nougatine in special shapes (strips, circles, figures, etc.) score these immediately, while the nougatine is still slightly soft. Here strips are being cut with a knife.
- 5 min.Once fully cooled, you can separate the shapes by breaking the nougatine gently where you have scored it.
Remarks:You can use walnuts, hazelnuts or pistachios instead of almonds, or whatever mixture you prefer.
Give yourself a longer working time by putting the baking sheet you will use for rolling in the oven at the same time as the almonds. It will then be hot and the nougatine will stay workable for longer.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Shortcrust pastry (pâte brisée), Pavlova, Crème brulée, Cannelés, Like Bounty, ... [All]
- Flaked almonds: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Génoise (Genoa sponge), Paris-Brest, Brioche slices with almond cream, Toasted flaked almonds, Flaked almond tart, ... [All]