Step by step recipe:
- 7 min.
- In bread-making, the water temperature is always important. It's not a fixed value, but related to 3 other temperatures: 1) the temperature of your flour, 2) the room temperature in your kitchen, and 3) the basic temperature of this recipe, which is 56-60°C.
You can calculate the temperature of the water for this recipe in one click, using this small calculator.
- 3 min.
- 12 min.Knead on slow speed for 12 minutes, adding 300 g raisins and the toasted almonds 2 minutes before the end of kneading.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home..
- 1 hour 30 min.
- 3 min.
- 2 min.Cut the rectangle in half.
- 5 min.Cut each half into rectangles about 1x4 inches (2x10 cm) and arrange these on a baking sheet.
- 2 hoursCover with a plastic sheet and leave to rest for 2 hours.
- 30 min.Preheat the oven to 460°F (240°C) and bake for about 30 minutes.
Note: As when baking any bread, you should ensure that the oven is filled with steam for the first 15 minutes of baking. This page shows you how; it really is the secret of golden-brown, crusty loaves..
- Leave to cook on a wire rack.
Remarks:You can vary the fruit content of your benoîton by using pistachios, cranberries, etc.
The name benoîton came no doubt from a nineteenth century play, La Famille Benoîton by Victorien Sardou, which portrayed a nouveau-riche bourgeois family. At the time, it was common to name patisseries after famous plays. Poires Belle-Hélène is another example.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: New leavened bread, Olive and pesto bread, Panettone, Valay-Brest, Quince and apple compote, ... [All]
- Raisins: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Chocolate cereal bars, Pains briochés aux raisins, Frozen Nougat, Apple Strudel, Dublin fruit scones, ... [All]
- Plain white flour (French Type 65): You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Roscoff loaf, Ocean bread, Seeded loaf, Bacon rolls, Jura bread, ... [All]
- Rye flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Jura bread, Fougasse with bacon and Comté, Gingerbread, Sandwich bread, Lumberjack turnovers, ... [All]