Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Put 2 blackcurrants leaf in a 1 litre jar.
- 10 min.Quickly wash 700 g blackcurrant under the tap, drain and dry them.
Fill up the jar.
- 2 min.Fill the jar with 600 ml neutral-flavoured eau-de-vie. The fruit must be completely covered with the alcohol.
- 1 min.Seal the jar and leave in a cool and dark place for about 3 months.
- After 3 months, the alcohol will have taken on a pretty red/purple color.
- This means that all the flavour of the fruits has been transferred to the alcohol.
- 10 min.Empty the contents of the bottle into a strainer placed over a high-sided container (to avoid splashes - they stain!) and collect the blackcurrant juice.
- 1 min.Pour the juice into a pan.
You can now discard the fruit, they have lost all their taste.
- 2 min.
- 10 min.
- Leave the syrup to cool for about 10 minutes, until the temperature drops below 100°C or 212°F.
- Carefully mix the two liquids together:
Add the blackcurrant juice to the syrup.
- Then pour this mix into the other pan.
- 10 min.Repeat this until the two liquids are thoroughly mixed.
It's important to do it like this because if you introduce a spoon or other utensil to stir with, the syrup might start to crystallize.
- The blackcurrant liqueur is now ready, and can be bottled.
Remarks:Its essential to use good quality fruit for this recipe, with bad or ordinary fruit you will have poor liqueur, and with well-flavoured fruit a great one. Best results are obtained with wild fruits, especially raspberries.
A couple of leaves can be left in with blackcurrants, but not with other fruit.
If you are making strawberry liqueur, cut large fruit into 2 or 4.
If you have a lot of blackcurrants in season, make blackcurrant coulis.
Recipes which use it: 2
And to drink?To make "Kir", the famous aperitif, pour one measure of blackcurrant liqueur into a glass and about six measures cool dry white wine (typically white Bourgogne like "Bourgogne aligoté" or equivalent).
You can also make a "Communard" by replacing the white wine with a light red one. A votre santé !
Source:After Gaston Lenôtre.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Blackcurrant: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Blackcurrant coulis, Blackcurrant-almond muffins, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Almond macaroon cake, French Family Cake, Peach and verbena feuilleté, Fresh fruit in sabayon, French custard tart, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Mixed seed grissini, Seeded loaf, Sushi, New leavened bread, Butter cream, ... [All]