Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 3 min.Beat egg- whites.
- 2 min.
- Continue beating until egg whites are firm.
A very old knack to know if egg white are beaten sufficiently: you can put a whole egg onto them and it will stay on the surface.
Another old saying: " egg whites are never beaten enough ".
- 2 min.And while still beating, incorporate the remaining sugar tablespoon by tablespoon.
- You will get a very bright white mixture.
- 5 min.Put mixture in small heaps on a non-stick baking sheet (with 2 tablespoons for example).
Then put in the oven at 100°C or 212°F for 4 - 6 hours or better, overnight.
If you cook in a wood-fired oven, cook overnight.
Note: You can decorate meringues before baking by sprinkling them with flaked almonds, and/or with a pinch of cocoa powder.
- 4 hoursAfter cooking, place on a rack to cool.
Keep in an airtight tin.
Remarks:This kind of meringue is also called "French meringue" or "raw meringue", which is different from Italian or Swiss meringue.
Keep in mind that meringues must dry rather than cook: a cool oven and a long cooking time is needed, if you want to make very white meringues like in bakeries. The quicker and hotter the cooking, the browner they will be.
You can also use a forcing bag to make more evenly or decoratively shaped meringues.
Caster sugar or icing sugar make no difference.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rolled chestnut and apple brioche, Vanilla sugar, Panna cotta, Apple Pie, Apple Strudel, ... [All]
- Egg white: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Macarons (the original French macaroons) , Ice-cream Vacherin, Verrine of avocado mousse and crab, Walnut paste, Vanilla ice cream, ... [All]
- Caster sugar: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Rice pudding (riz au lait), Naan, Cherry clafoutis, Rhubarb tart, Almond macaroon cake, ... [All]