Step by step recipe:
- 1 min.Stand the lettuce with the stalk upwards.
- 2 min.Pull off any damaged leaves and discard.
- 2 min.Lie the lettuce on its side and cut off the stalk.
- 5 min.You can trim off the stiff white part at the base of the leaves if you want a more tender lettuce.
- 1 min.Try to keep the "heart" of lettuce, kids love to find it in their plates.
- 10 min.Put the lettuce leaves in a large container of water that is not too cold (more efficient at removing any earth), adding 1 tablespoon white (spirit) vinegar.
Leave the leaves to soak for 10 minutes or so to wash them.
- 2 min.After this, "play the spider", which means remove the leaves from the water by lifting them out with your hands. This leaves any dirt at the bottom undisturbed.
- 5 min.Put the leavves in a salad spinner and give them a good whirl.
- Your lettuce is ready.
Remarks:The simplest way to dress a salad? A good vinaigrette and a few chopped herbs. There's nothing better before all that lovely French cheese arrives on the table !
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- White (spirit) vinegar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Fresh pasta dough, How to prepare cabbage, Poached eggs, How to prepare corn salad, Mackerel Fillets in White Wine, ... [All]
- Lettuce: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Chicken club sandwich, Crab and smoked salmon club sandwiches , Chicken and Avocado Salad, Lettuce "chiffonade", Green avocado salad, ... [All]