Step by step recipe:
- 2 hours1st important point: Remove 4 eggs from the fridge at least 2 hours in advance, you should use eggs at room temperature for the cooking time indicated below to work.
- 10 min.Bring a pan of unsalted water to boil. When boiling, pour in 2 tablespoons white (spirit) vinegar, and reduce heat to a simmering water.
That is the 2nd important point: your water should not be salted (salt disturbs the cooking of egg white), and simmering, not boiling, because big bubbles boiling produce irregular and ugly poached eggs.
Prepare a bowl of cold water.
- 1 min.Break the first egg into a cup.
- 1 min.Slip egg smartly into simmering water...
- 1 min....and immediately gather the white around egg yolk to prevent egg spreading out too much.
If you have difficulty doing that, try this tip: with a tablespoon give one or two turn to the pan to make a small vortex in the water, then add egg and the vortex will do the gathering job for you.
- 3 min.Leave cook for 2 minutes and 30 seconds (3 minutes maximum). This cooking time is the 3rd important point for a perfect result.
- 1 min.After this time, remove egg from hot water and put it immediately into the bowl of cold water to stop the cooking.
Leave it in, and continue with all eggs.
- 2 min.With scissors, trim off any irregular lumps and trails of egg white to get as round and even an egg as possible.
- 1 min.Then put on a cloth to dry.
- 20 min.Do this with all eggs, your soft-boiled eggs are ready.
Remarks:Poached eggs are use in many recipes, cold or hot, but are always delicious.
If you want to reheat them, put in the microwave for 15 seconds, or leave 3 minutes in a bowl of hot tap water (not boiling).
If you make poached eggs in advance, the day before for example, leave to stand in a bowl of salted cold water in the fridge.
White vinegar is used because wine vinegar would stain the egg red.