Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.
- 3 min.
- 2 min.Mix the chopped herbs with 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs, salt and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 6 min.In a frying pan, fry 4 slices ham lightly on both sides.
- 3 min.Fill each slice of bread with a slice of ham and slices of cheese (Comté shown here).
- 2 min.
- 3 min.Pour the beaten eggs into a shallow dish and put the egg and breadcrumb mixture in another.
- 3 min.Dip both sides of the sandwiches first in the beaten egg...
- 3 min....then in the breadcrumb coating.
Prepare all the sandwiches like this.
- 4 min.
- You can turn the heat down at this stage and cover the pan with a sheet of aluminium foil for 2 or 3 minutes to help melt the cheese, but this is not essential if you are using a soft-paste cheese (see below for more about this).
- 4 min.When the underneath is nicely browned, turn the sandwiches over and cook the other side.
- Serve piping hot.