Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Put 150 g ground almonds in a bowl, then sieve on top 150 g icing sugar. We use the sieve to remove any lumps.
- 1 min.Mix the two thoroughly, this mix is call "tant-pour-tant" (like-for-like) by French pastrycooks.
- 1 min.Put this mixture into the food processor.
- 1 min.If you like it, add 7 drops food colouring (children love that).
- 1 min.Beat 1 egg white lightly with a fork to make adding a little at a time easier.
Start the food processor, and after 10 seconds add a little egg white.
- 2 min.Continue to add egg white until the mix starts to come together.
- Don't mix too long, stop as soon as the mixture starts to gather into a ball.
- Finish shaping into a ball with your hand. Wrap it in plastic film, and put in the fridge until use.
It's delicious on its own, but can be used for modelling cake decorations, put in the bottom of a tart, or for making a delicious cake called "colombier de la pentecote" (used for preparing "baked Alaska" - recipe coming soon).
Recipes which use it: 4