Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Peel the potatoes and rinse them.
If you want to make "old-fashioned" crisps, do not peel them, just scrub them thoroughly under running water.
- 3 min.Slice the potatoes thinly and evenly. I advise you to use a mandolin, more-or-less essential for producing even slices.
- The ideal thickness you should aim for is 1 mm.
- 2 min.Rinse the slices in a bowl of water.
- 5 min.Drain and dry thoroughly on a tea towel.
- 3 min.When dry, lower into very hot frying oil.
Do not put in too many at a time, as they will create a white foam that can froth up and overflow.
Fry until the froth disappears (around 3 minutes).
- Remove the crisps from the oil and leave for 5 minutes.
- 5 min.Put the chips back into the oil and fry again until golden brown.
- 3 min.Tip onto absorbant paper, and sprinkle with salt.
- For flavoured crisps, replace the salt with a mixture of a little salt and your choice of spice (curry, paprika, etc.).
Remarks:The variety of potato affects the crisps' quality. I find I get the best results with Bintje.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Potatoes: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Fisherman's Ragout, Potato tortilla (Spanish omelette), Grated potato cakes, Avengers' potatoes, Late Winter Soup with Fresh Spinach, ... [All]
- Oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Two-stage beef chuck , Fillet of beef in a rosemary crust, Crispy cheese parcels, Cocotte eggs with Comté, Roquefort sauce, ... [All]
- Salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Ciabatta, Seared tuna with lemon and lime, Summery cheese on toast, Thaï rice with small vegetables, Potato Waffles with Smoked Salmon, ... [All]