Step by step recipe:
- 7 min.
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Fry 125 g small pieces of bacon in a frying pan without adding any oil.
- 1 min.Once the bacon is cooked, mix with the shallots and leave to cool.
This can be prepared the day before or even a few days in advance.
- 5 min.
- 7 min.Knead for 7 minutes, then add the bacon and shallot mixture and knead for a further 1 or 2 minutes to mix evenly into the dough.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 1 hourGather the dough into a ball, transfer to a clean bowl, cover with a sheet of plastic and leave to rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- 10 min.After this time, weigh out the dough into lumps of about 1 oz (30 g).
- Roll each piece into a ball (just like you would do with modelling clay).
- Arrange the balls into a tin (preferably spring-form) or mould.
Do not pack the balls too tightly, as they will expand.
Cover once more with a sheet of plastic and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- 40 min.Preheat the oven to 430°F (220°C).
After 40 minutes, you will see how the balls will have risen.
- 30 min.Bake for about 30 minutes at the same time as the Mont d'Or (treat it like hot box cheese).
- Serve the bread and cheese together on the table.
For the best effect, pull a few balls off from the edge of the loaf (your excuse can be that you needed to "test" it, of course) to make a space for the cheese to sit.
- Let everyone break off balls of bread themselves to dip into the melted cheese.
With hands simply reaching to one common plate in the centre of the table, this is what sharing food is all about.
Remarks:Ideally, the bread should be served warm with the melted cheese piping hot.
It is not essential to use Mont d'Or (even if this is a sublime cheese). Any similar soft-paste cheese, such as Camembert, will work well.
You might also like to use small dice of morteau sausage instead of the bacon.
And to drink?A white wine that is on the dry side, such as a Jura Savagnin/Chardonnay, or maybe a Savoie wine.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sweet pastry, Chocolate eclairs, Tomato tatin, Fish fillet with preserved lemons, Sausage mushroom and cheese crumble, ... [All]
- Shallot: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Fresh spinach with cream, Sea bass with coriander cream en papillote, Small ratatouille with , Marchand de vin sauce, Pan-fried salmon with white cabbage, ... [All]
- Small pieces of bacon: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tartiflette, Artichoke hearts forestier , Quiche Lorraine, Rabbit with mustard, How to cook bacon and remove excess fat, ... [All]
- Milk: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Polenta, Alsatian apple tart, Jam doughnuts, Nantes Tourton, Cherry clafoutis, ... [All]