Step by step recipe:
- 15 min.Remove the skin from 500 g dry sausage or salami and dice small.
- 15 min.Spread 120 g pistachios on a baking sheet and toast for 15 minutes in the oven at 300°F (150°C).
- 5 min.
- 11 min.Start kneading on minimum speed, then pour in 650 ml red wine.
Knead for 3 minutes like this, then on speed "1" for a further 8 minutes. When the dough temperature reaches 75°F (24°C, it is ready).
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 1 hourOnce the dough is made, go back to minimum speed and tip in the diced sausage and pistachios.
Gather the dough (you will notice it is a strange pinky-mauve colour) into a ball and put into a clean bowl. Cover with a sheet of plastic and leave for 1 hour.
- 20 min.After this time, divide the dough into 200 g pieces. Roll these into balls and leave covered with a sheet of plastic to rest for 20 minutes.
- 2 hoursAfter this time, press the balls flat, then shape them into thin baguettes or "ficelles", as shown in this short video.
Leave the saucipains covered with a sheet of plastic to rest for 2 hours.
- 20 min.Preheat the oven to 460°F (240°C) and bake the saucipains for about 20 minutes until nicely browned.
Note: As when baking any bread, you should ensure that the oven is filled with steam for the first 15 minutes of baking. This page shows you how; it really is the secret of golden-brown, crusty loaves..
Remarks:If you don't have salami, use any cooked sausage you like.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Jam doughnuts, Fillets of sole meunière, Old style brioche, Buckwheat almond biscuits, Pitta bread, ... [All]
- Red wine: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Eggs meurette, Mulled wine Belle-Plagne style, Boeuf (beef) bourguignon, Marchand de vin sauce, Beef braised in reduced red wine, ... [All]