Step by step recipe:
- 3 min.
- 15 min.Knead for 15 minutes.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 2 min.
- 1 hourContinue kneading until the butter is fully mixed in.
Gather the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic film and leave to rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- 12 hoursAfter resting, press down on the dough (to expel gas), gather into a ball again, then wrap in plastic film and refrigerate overnight.
- 5 min.
Prepare the butterscotch applesPeel 2 apples, and cut small (dice, ideally).
- 3 min.Melt 30 g Clarified butter in a frying pan on high heat, then add 50 g brown sugar.
- 6 min.When the sugar begins to caramelize, add the apples all at once and sauté until well cooked and caramelized.
- 3 min.
Roll the briocheTake the brioche dough out of the fridge and dust with flour.
- 5 min.Roll out into a strip the same width as the length of your loaf tin or mould, and about 60 cm (2 ft) long.
- Lay apple pieces in a row at the near end of the strip...
- ...and start rolling up, adding more rows of apples as you go.
- 7 min.Finish by turning the "seam" to underneath.
Trim the roll if necessary to fit your tin.
- 1 hour 30 min.Sit the roll in the tin or mould and brush with beaten egg to glaze.
Leave in a warm place to rest for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 2 min.After resting, glaze the brioche again.
Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C).
- 1 min.If you wish, you can snip the top of the brioche with scisors to help it rise in the oven.
- 30 min.Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Remarks:The proportion of chestnut flour may appear small, but this is necessary: any more and the brioche will not rise properly.
It is important at step 8 to cook the apples well, otherwise, when rolled into the dough, they will give off steam during baking and create unsightly holes in the brioche.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Egg: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Tiramisu, Cheese tart, Flaky chocolate brioche, Fish in a seed crust, Chocolate mug cake, ... [All]
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Leek and tuna loaf, Pistachio shortbread biscuits, Sesame fried scampi, Fruit crumble, Dublin fruit scones, ... [All]
- Butter: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Nonettes, Chocolate and matcha tea biscuits, Apple and almond gratin, Langoustine and leek tarts, Puff or flaky pastry (pâte feuilletée), ... [All]
- Brown sugar: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Sweet pancake rolls from Brittany, Little lemon biscuits, Quince and apple compote, Caribbean upside-down cake, Chocolate cereal bars, ... [All]