Step by step recipe:
- 30 min.The day before baking, or even a several days beforehand, cook the sausages in the oven at 360°F (180°C). The sausages should be nicely browned and, if there are any cooking juices, keep these for adding to the recipe later.
Leave the sausages to cool, then wrap in plastic film and keep refigerated until needed for the dough.
- 10 min.
- 3 min.Next day, drain the onions...
- ...and collect the wine they have soaked in.
- 5 min.
- 4 min.Cut the sausages into slices or small dice.
- 10 min.Put into a food-mixer bowl: 500 g plain white flour (French Type 65), 9 g salt, 15 g yeast, 100 g Soured dough (if possible) and then add the onion-flavoured wine.
If you collected any sausage cooking juices, now is the time to add them.
Knead on slow speed for 10 minutes.
Note: For the best way to knead, see: A few tips for effective kneading at home.
- 2 min.Add the onions and sausage, then knead for a further 2 minutes until these are mixed in.
- 2 min.Gather the dough into a rough ball and transfer to a large clean bowl.
- 1 hour 30 min.Cover with a plastic sheet and leave to rest at room temperature for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 5 min.After resting, turn the dough out onto the work surface and cut into lumps of about 1 lb (500 g).
- 2 hoursShape into medium-sized loaves and lay in proving baskets.
Cover once more with a plastic sheet and leave to rest for 2 hours.
- 35 min.
- Leave to cool on a wire or wooden cooling rack.
Your Roscoff loaf is done.
Remarks:To keep the recipe's very Breton character, try to use Molène sausages and pink onions (from Roscoff, of course), if possible. But if you can't get these, normal onions and another type of smoked sausage will work fine.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Flour: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Mustard baps, French baguettes, Bacon rolls, Classic French white bread, Ali Baba bread, ... [All]
- Sausage: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Colcannon, Sausages with baked beans, French style, ... [All]
- Red wine: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Eggs meurette, Two-stage beef chuck , Rabbit civet, Oxtail Parmentier, Mulled wine Belle-Plagne style, ... [All]