Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.
- 12 hoursAdd 750 g chicken breast, pour 750 ml red wine over, cover with a plate and leave in the fridge to marinate overnight.
- 5 min.
First-stage cooking of meatNext day, drain the chicken breasts and dry on absorbant paper.
- 4 min.
- 3 min.
Cook the vegetablesDrain the vegetables and discard the bouquet garni.
- 2 min.Put the vegetables into the same pan in what is left of the oil (add a little more if necessary) and cook for one or two minutes,.
- 1 min.
Return the chicken to the pan and heat everything on high heat.
Pour in ½ glass Brandy (Cognac or Armagnac) all at once...
- 1 min....and set light to the cognac (flambé).
- 2 min.Once the flames are out, sprinkle 3 tablespoons flour over and mix in.
- 1 min.Pour in the wine from the marinade, salt and pepper, then turn down the heat and leave to simmer gently.
- 10 min.
Prepare the mushroomsMeanwhile, peel 300 g mushrooms and cut into small pieces.
- 4 min.Fry rapidly in the pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil...
- 1 min....then add to the simmering pan.
- 2 hours
Second-stage cooking of meatAfter cooking slowly for 2 hours, the wine will have reduced to give the coq au vin its delicious sauce.
Check the seasoning.
- Serve the coq au vin with your preferred accompaniment, such as the sautéed potatoes shown here.
Remarks:If you want to make the real thing, use a whole cock (or rooster, for Americans) instead of the chicken breasts and ask your butcher to cut it into portions for you.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Chicken breast: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Paté en croute (terrine in a pie crust), Thai-style Chicken with Cashew Nuts, Sliced chicken with mushrooms and broccoli, Pan-fried chicken breast on mozzarella, Chicken pie, ... [All]
- Red wine: You can check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Boeuf (beef) bourguignon, Pears in red wine with blackcurrant , Aperitif rolls, Winemaker's toast, Eggs meurette, ... [All]
- Mushrooms: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Vol-au-vent, "Land and sea" kebabs, Tomato omelette, Stuffed Mushrooms, Special Parmesan baguettes, ... [All]
- Olive oil: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Cauliflower curry, Thin endive tart, Olive and pesto bread, Tomato meat balls, Croque-monsieur gourmand, ... [All]