Step by step recipe:
- 10 min.Trim a little from the base of 5 endives (head of chicory), remove and discard any untidy leaves, then wash endives.
- 3 min.Boil a large pan of salted water.
With a small sharp knife, remove a small cone from the bottom and discard it. The cone size depends on endive size, usually about half an inch is fine.
This reduces the endive's bitter taste.
Note:If endive are medium or big size, think to cut them in two, from top to bottom, to reduce cooking and blenching time.
- 3 min.Put endives in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes...
- 5 min.
- 5 min.Leave endives in cold water for five minutes, then drain and dry them. The best way is to use a salad spinner, and then leave on a tea-towel.
Remarks:In this recipe I say "reduce bitterness" because we don't want to suppress it entirely: it's part of the endive taste, its character, that we should keep.
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Endives (head of chicory): You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Gratin of Endives with Mont d'Or, Flamiche, Individual creamy endive gratins, Endive gratin with cancoillotte, Endive and walnut salad, ... [All]
- Coarse salt: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pickled gherkins, How to prepare spinach, Stock-pot fish , Potted meat (rillettes), Foie gras cured in salt, ... [All]
- Water: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Pistachio powder or paste, Two-olive ciabatta, Chocolate eclairs, Quick orange marmalade, Langoustine sabayon tart, ... [All]