Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Wash fruit (except if using strawberries), and cut into small pieces if fruit are the size of apricots or larger.
Put in the goblet of a blender, add 1 pinch vitamin C, squeeze ½ lemon over, and add 4 tablespoons Sugar syrup or caster sugar.
Note: The smaller the pieces, the quicker and more efficient the blending.
- 3 min.Blend until obtaining a very smooth purée.
- 1 min.Pour preparation into a fine strainer and place over a bowl.
- 10 min.Then, with a maryse or soft spatula, press on bottom of the strainer and give a movement from one side towards the other, to "press" the coulis into the bottom of the strainer.
Your goal is to force the coulis through the strainer, while keeping back any seeds and skins to make a very smooth coulis.
- It's a rather long operation, but the result will be good as your efforts.
Stop when there is only a pile of skin and seeds left in the strainer. These you can throw away.
- 5 min.
- If you'd like to freeze your coulis, it's important to not freeze it in one large block, as this is inconvenient later: long to defroze, impossible to cut up or almost, etc...
Better to divide up the coulis into small packs of 200 g You can pour this amount into small freezer bags, seal and label them, then put to freeze.
- Even more practical: make "ice-cubes" of coulis, by pouring it into moulds (silicon if possible, it is easier to remove from after freezing) and leaving overnight in the freezer.
- The following day, put the coulis-cubes in a big bag and return to the freezer (remember to weigh a coulis-cube, to know how how much you have when you want to use them).
Remarks:There is deliberately very little sugar, so that you can sweeten later to your taste, just before use.
This method (mixing, sifting, freezing) can be applied to most fruits. Small soft fruit: raspberries, redcurrants, blackberries, etc. (blackcurrants are a bit different) Medium sized: apricots, peaches, pears, kiwi, etc... And large ones: pineapple etc. It allows you to stock up during summer when fruit is abundant, and use it later, during the cold months.
Recipes which use it: 11, of which:
Grade this recipe
More recipes?This recipe use (among others)
- Fruit of your choice: You can check-out other recipes which use it, like for example: Fruit crumble, ... [All]
- Sugar syrup: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Strawberry-mint sorbet, Blackcurrant sorbet for Edith, 4 pears salad with vanilla, Peach and mint salad , Pavlova, ... [All]
- Lemon: You can get more informations, or check-out other recipes which use it, for example: Blanquette of veal, Artichoke hearts forestier , Fish in a salt crust, Paella, Peach and mint salad , ... [All]