Step by step recipe:
- 5 min.Wash 1 kg lemon.
As the peel will be left on, it is important to use organic lemons, or to scrub each lemon thoroughly at least.
- 8 min.Trim off both ends of each lemon, then slice them. Use a mandolin if you have one; it's ideal for this job.
- 10 min.Spread a fine layer of coarse salt in a large dish, lay lemon slices flat in the bottom, then scatter more salt over.
- 12 min.Continue like this with all the lemons.
Cover with plastic film and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day you will see that the lemons have given off juice, but that the salt has not completely dissolved.
- 5 min.Remove the remaining salt from each lemon slice with a brush...
- 5 min....and pack them into a jar.
Slip sprigs of your chosen herbs and peppercorns in between the slices as you go.
- 3 min.Cover completely with olive oil.
- Seal the jar and leave for 3 months.
- After this, the lemons will be preserved by the oil and you can begin to use them as and when you need.
- It is worth noting that the oil in the jar will take on the flavour and you can use this as well. For example, it makes an amazing french dressing (vinaigrette)
Remarks:You can use any herbs you like or have to hand. Similarly, the quantities of salt and oil are simply for guidance. If you take out some of the oil, be sure not to leave the lemons in the jar uncovered, or they will turn mouldy.
You can scald the herbs before using them, as in the herb olive oil recipe.